If you read my first blog post it should come as no surprise to you that I am a big Nintendo fan and have been my whole life. I have owned every major Nintendo console that has come to market in the US except the Virtual Boy. One of these days I may still end up buying one just to complete my collection. Nintendo, like many companies have had its shares of ups and downs, but they always try to do best by their fans.
The Nintendo Switch launched on March 3, 2017. This console is a hybrid console with the ability to play as a home console (hooked up to a tv) and a handheld console (one you can play on the go). I had high hopes that this console would turn around the misfortunes the WiiU system brought to the company. I was thrilled when it became the fastest selling console ever in the US, out-pacing the PS4, Xbox One, Wii, PS3, and all other systems sold before. It has quickly become one of my favorite Nintendo consoles and has some amazing games on it such as: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Fire Emblem Warriors, and more.
The best thing about the Nintendo Switch is the library of games is building at an incredible rate. Nintendo consistently puts out great first-party titles and has partnerships with many other developers to expand the content of games on the Switch. Today, was a fantastic day for Nintendo fans as some major announcements were made. Periodically, Nintendo releases pre-recorded videos on YouTube of news about the company, new games, and new services. This is a great way to show their fans what projects are currently being worked on. Today’s Nintendo Direct delivered in a big way as numerous new announcements were made.
Some of the major announcements were:
- Brand new Luigi’s Mansion 3 as a working title for the Switch
- Port of Super Mario U and Super Luigi U to the Switch on 1.11.19
- Details on the new online service that will contain NES classic games to play
- New Katamari Damacy Reroll for Switch
- Game Freak (developer of Pokémon) is making a new game called Town
- Yoshi’s Crafted World got its title and a launch window of Spring 2019
- Tabletop games are coming to the Switch including Catan & Munchkin
- Square Enix is bringing a plethora of older Final Fantasy games to the Switch
- Special edition Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Switch Bundle
- Isabelle from Animal Crossing added as a Super Smash character
- Animal Crossing’s next major installment is coming to the Switch in 2019
And that was just some of the bigger announcements! As a fan of many of these franchises, I was super happy to hear about what all is in store for Nintendo and its fans in the near future. From today, I am most excited about Yoshi’s game getting a launch window, Animal Crossing getting a major release next year, and tabletop games going to the Switch! I am sure we will be visiting many Nintendo titles in the future as I already have Let’s Go Pikachu, Super Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate preordered and I can’t wait to share my thoughts on those titles with you when they release.
Is there anything coming out for the Nintendo Switch that you are excited to play? Was there an announcement from today that surprised you? I would love to hear your thoughts!
“Do a barrel roll!” Peppy, Star Fox 64, 1997